A hearty and delicious vegan butternut squash stew for 6.
- Prep Time10 min
- Cook Time45 min
- Total Time55 min
- 1 tbsp Avocado Oil Or Other Cooking Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion (peeled and chopped)
- 4 cloves Garlic (peeled, and minced)
- 1 Fresh Ginger (1 Inch piece, peeled and grated)
- 2 tsps Ground Cumin
- 2 tsps Ground Coriander
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Carrots (peeled, and diced)
- 1 Sweet Potato (1 large or two small, peeled and
- 4 cups Butternut Squash (peeled and cubed)
- 3 1/2 cups Diced Tomatoes (1 large can)
- 3 cups Chickpeas (2 cans, drained and rinsed)
- 3 cups Water
- 2 cups Green Kale (washed, stemmed and
- 1/4 cup Raisins (Optional)
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt (or more to taste)
1. Cut butternut squash and remove the seeds. Peel the squash. Cut into bite sized cubes.
2. In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat, add onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and chili flakes. Cook another minute, add small amounts of water to prevent sticking.
3. Add carrots, sweet potatoes, squash, tomatoes, chickpeas, water, 1/2 tsp salt and raisins, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 – 40 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
4. Add the washed and chopped kale and cook for several minutes until the kale is wilted.
5. Serve in bowls as is or over rice if you desire. Optional to top with cilantro and a squeeze of lemon or lime.
The stew will keep well for another meal in the fridge.