Let’s face it, being a new parent is hard. Our kids...
Roasted Garlic Beets
2 lbs oven roasted beets, cut the ends of the beets and roast in oven in a small amount of water for 60 minutes at 375 or until a fork easily pierces the beet. Once roasted, peel and cut the beets into bite sized pieces.
Add 1 clove minced garlic
2 Tbs Olive Oil
2 Tbs Ume Plum or Red Wine Vinegar
Mix, Chill and enjoy!
Beetroot, Cucumber and Mint Salad
- 1 large (400g) green cucumber
- 1 teaspoon coarse cooking salt
- 4 medium (700g) fresh beetroot
- 1 medium (170g) red onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon finely granted lemon rind
- 1/2 cup (125ml) lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
1. Peel, seed, and finely chop cucumber. Place cucumber in colander and sprinkle with salt; let mixture stand 15 minutes.
2. Peel and grate trimmed beetroot. Chop onion finely.
3. Rinse cucumber under cold water; drain on absorbent paper.
4. Combine cucumber, beetroot, onion, mint, rind, juice, and sugar in large bowl.
From Plan B Organics.
Golden Beets and Sunflower Salad
To maximize the flavor of this salad, toss the beets with the dressing while they’re still warm, so they’ll absorb more of it. Sunflower seeds turn rancid fairly quickly, so it’s important to purchase them from a place with high turnover, such as a natural foods store.
- 1 lb medium golden beets (with greens)
- 1/4 cup raw (not roasted) sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 1 1/4 tablespoons cider vinegar
- pinch salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 oz sunflower sprouts or baby mesclun (3 cups)
Put oven racks in lower third and middle of oven and preheat oven to 425°F.
Trim beet greens, leaving 1 inch of stems attached. Tightly wrap beets together in double layers of foil to make packages (2 or 3 per package) and roast in middle of oven until tender, 40 to 45 minutes. Unwrap beets and cool slightly.
While beets roast, toast sunflower seeds in a pie plate or a small baking pan in lower third of oven, shaking occasionally, until seeds are golden, about 10 minutes.
Whisk together shallot, vinegar, salt, pepper, and sugar in a small bowl, then add oil in a stream, whisking.
When beets are cool enough to handle, slip off and discard skins. Cut beets lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices and gently toss with 3 tablespoons vinaigrette in a bowl.
Toss sunflower sprouts and half of sunflower seeds with remaining vinaigrette in another bowl. Arrange beets on 6 salad plates and top with dressed sprouts. Sprinkle salads with remaining sunflower seeds.
Beets can be roasted, sliced, and dressed 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
Makes 3 servings.
Herb, Feta & Beet Salad
by Daphne Zepos
This is a composed salad with four parts: beets, feta, herbs, and a very simple vinaigrette. The four elements only meet at the last minute on the plate. Serves four.
For the vinaigrette:
- Kosher salt to taste
- 2 tsp. red-wine vinegar
- 3 Tbs. walnut oil or pecan oil
For the beets:
- 1-1/2 lb. red beets (3 to 4 medium)
- 2 Tbs. red-wine vinegar
For the herb salad:
- Tarragon leaves picked from 2 fresh sprigs (2 Tbs.)
- 8 fresh chives, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2 Tbs.)
- Marjoram leaves picked from 1 fresh sprig (1 tsp.)
- 2 fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- 1/2 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley (1/2 cup packed)
- 1/4 bunch fresh chervil
- 3 cups mesclun greens, or a mix of sliced sorrel, watercress, arugula, and mizuna
For the feta:
- 1/4 lb. feta, cut into 4 slabs, each about 2 inches square and 1/4 inch thick
(see “How to store feta”)
How to make To make the vinaigrette
In a small bowl, dissolve the salt in the vinegar. Whisk in the nut oil.
To prepare the beets
Wash the beets and cut off the leaves. Trim off the tough lower stems and discard any yellow or bruised leaves; wash and reserve any small, healthy leaves.
In a large saucepan or a stockpot with a steamer basket, steam the beets until a paring knife enters them easily, 30 to 45 minutes, depending on their size. Set aside until cool enough to handle but still warm. Peel the beets; the skin will pull right off. Cut them in half and then in 1/4-inch slices so you end up with half-moons. Put the beets in a bowl and splash them with the vinegar while they’re still warm. Toss with some of the vinaigrette, enough to lightly coat (save the rest for the herb salad).
To prepare the herbs
In a large bowl, combine all the herbs and greens (including any reserved beet leaves). Toss with enough vinaigrette to just lightly coat the leaves.
To compose the salad
On a large serving platter, arrange the beet half-moons. Lay the feta slabs on the beets, and then pile the herb salad on top. You could also arrange the salad in the same way on four individual serving plates.
from Fine Cooking #46, pp. 53-58
- Bulgar wheat
- Lemon Juice
- Olive Oil
- Feta Cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Red onion
The amounts will depend on much salad you wish to make. We used a cup of bulgar wheat and four beetroot.
For each 1/4 cup bulgar wheat add 1/4 cup boiling water. Rest for 10 minutes.
Wrap beets in foil and roast for 1 hour at 160C. Cool, peel and cut into cubes.
Add oil, lemon juice, chopped herbs and salt and pepper to soaked bulgar wheat.
Taste and adjust as required.
Stir through beet cubes. Place salad on platter.Sprinkle some crumbled feta over. Add onion slices and serve.
As a consumer I want eggs from Free-Range chickens. As a...
Ready to start harvesting fresh herbs for your meals! I know...
There’s something truly magical about the arrival of...
Our 12-year old can’t eat gluten. From a young age it...